Nairobi Hospital in KenyaArgwings Kodhek Rd, Nairobi
Nairobi Hospital is one of the key health centres in the capital city of Kenya.
A Modern Health Centre in Nairobi
Nairobi Hospital is a health centre situated about five minutes away from the city centre. This health facility is popular with affluent citizens and foreigners but it started as a hospital offering medical services to the European settlers before the country’s independence.
Kenyatta Hospital, then known as the King George VI Hospital, could not cater for the increasing number of settlers in the country. The Kenya European Hospital Association was charged with the responsibility of establishing a hospital to handle the increasing number of settlers.
To do that, the association bought Maia Carberry Nursing Home, which now houses the Kenya School of Law, and used it as a hospital for men. Women were served at the Princess Elizabeth Hospital, which now houses the University of Nairobi Dental School.
Nairobi Hospital was built in 1952, and it was known as the European Hospital. It has grown with the country’s growth from the colonial era to a democracy. Now, this hospital has inpatient and outpatient services. The outpatient clinics include family health, diet, diabetes, senior citizens clinic, neurology, endoscopy and chest clinics.
It has fully equipped laboratories, theatres and emergency units. In addition, this hospital runs a School of Nursing named after a devoted nurse, Cicely McDonnell. The courses offered include a higher diploma in critical care and short post-basic courses in diabetes, nursing process and counseling among others. Nairobi Hospital has branches within the city at Gigiri and Galleria Mall.