Kenyatta National HospitalHospital Road,Upper Hill, Nairobi
Kenyatta National Hospital is one of the main health care facilities in the country handling referral cases from all counties.
The Oldest Health Centre
Kenyatta National Hospital is 113 years old. In 1901, Kenyatta Hospital opened its doors with a capacity of 40 beds only, then known as the Native Civil Hospital, a name that stayed until 1952 when it was renamed the King George VI Hospital. The name changed later in honour of the founding father of the country, Jomo Kenyatta, after independence. Therefore, it became Kenyatta National Hospital.
This health centre, located in Upper Hill in Nairobi, is the country’s largest referral health facility. Thousands of patients visit this facility daily, some from remote parts of the country, referred there for specialised health care. It also runs a training centre, which is the country’s largest medical training facility. Through the years, this hospital has grown from its 40 beds capacity to 1,800 beds, which is inclusive of the private wing’s 209 beds.
Apart from 50 wards, 22 outpatient clinics, 24 medical theatres and other facilities, Kenyatta National Hospital also houses University of Nairobi’s College of Health Sciences, the Kenya Medical Training College, National Laboratory Service and the Kenya Medical Research Institute. Courses offered at this hospital‘s nursing school are a diploma in critical care nursing and peri-operative nursing.
Services offered at Kenyatta National Hospital include physiotherapy, occupational therapy, plastic surgery, thoracic and cardiovascular surgery ophthalmology and urology among others.